Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Reader Response:

When reading Goodreads.com there was definitely a mixture of emotions coming from the reviewers and the amount of stars that were given. The one star rating that I read was very harsh and dealt with the woman’s opinion itself. As nice as I can summarize it, she said that this book just didn’t fit her genre of reading and even with the significance in the book she believed that it was poorly written. The two star rating said that the book was also poorly written and that he would’ve preferred to hear from the oppressed person themselves verse reading about it through a racist text based book. Aside from the negative comments there were also many, many positive comments that range in the four star and five star spots. The one that was most relatable was this one: 
           “This book is one of the most moving, provocative pieces of literature I've ever read, and it's the first time that I can recall being moved to tears from a book. As long as I live, I will never be able to remove from my mind the vision of Eliza, panicked and frenzied, in the dead of the night with her baby boy in her arms, leaping across the frozen ice of the Ohio river to escape the trader her baby had been sold to. And if anyone wants to read a profound and well written narrative for the view of a Black Slave, look to George's monologue on page 127-128, where he is at the Inn with Mr. Wilson, disguised as a white upperclass gentlemen, and explaining to Mr. Wilson how he feels about his country.
I was involved in the book up to that point, but after that, this book owned me. This should be required reading of every American Citizen, and it's in my top five of the most important books I have ever read. For whatever the cause of the American people, it all comes down to "When in the course of human events..."
From Barnes and Noble the average for the reviews was a 3.9. These reviews it was easy to see a trend of many people’s thoughts and feelings towards the book. I noticed that on Barnes and Noble that there were only a few negative comments, but they were well overbalanced with positive feedback. There was lots of positivity and in every post that I read referred it to someone specific or to the general public or to a specific group. The one review that I thought was relatable on this review site was:
“I loved this book. I will admit that it wasn't an easy read. But I was determined to finish it anyway. It had so many valuable life lessons that I don't have the space or time to mention them all. I strongly recommend it for christians to read, because we do sometimes forget how to hold on to our faith, when times are bad. I laughed and cried, and I feel so much more enlightened now about faith and love. I hope I'll never forget the teachings in this book.”
On Amazon the average review was 4.5 stars. Throughout many of the reviews it was easily noted that this was a significant piece to learn more about slavery through someone else’s eyes. It is also noted that the significance to this story is moving on many different levels through the mind and body. Several people’s reviews warn others on why they should or shouldn’t read it. They also highlight what is happening with racial comments. Some cons that are mentioned are how hard it is to read it, her ways of having long and over descriptive sentences. One review that I thought was interesting to read was:
One of the best books I've read. In the beginning of the story it was not easy for me to 'step back in time' with the author, but by sticking with these characters there are great rewards. Not only have we forgotten the horrors that took place in our country during slavery, we are reminded what oppression did to generations of families whose roots were intertwined with slavery. What damage was done to body and soul during the infancy of our nation. Probably everyone should read the book Uncle Tom's Cabin. H.B. Stowe weaves a powerful story around compelling characters who are not forgotten easily and are interesting, meaningful and spiritual. Some are admirable, some are sweet and humorous, others are wretched. They all have an important role in this story, they all teach; providing many variables or shades of slavery's affect; as many shades as can be found in humankind's skin…The books Chistian vertue leads to the only redemptive conclusions during a time when hopelessness and treachery prevailed. This book is a national treasure, it was an important catalyst in our American history for awakening. Not just a presenting of facts and ideas, feeling and emotional sympathies but a book which brought to its audience a demand (not a request) for decision. and a quick decided action within each decent conscience. Thankfully, it's reader's took action and fought to see slavery abolished. If there was such a book for our time, to change hearts and minds to as decisive an action against oppression (evil disguised as acceptable practice), we would be extremely blessed. All the more reason for each generation to continue to revisit this classic. If we allow this book's core message to gnaw away at any crippling prejudices or sympathies which we overlook , or uncover the injustices that we currently practice or protect, Uncle Tom's Cabin will be a timeless tool in the hands of Providence.

When reading through the reviews on Uncle Tom’s Cabin I agreed with most of them but also disagreed with many from Goodreads. I agreed with a majority of the reviews because of my opinions and my takes on the book itself. I disagreed with many people who said not to read it and were negative due to the fact that I learned a lot through reading this book and would refer it to someone else. I do believe that it is important for many people to read this—I won’t say everyone because not everyone would be able to handle a book that goes so in depth with lots of purpose. 

6 comments:

  1. In regards to what you found on Goodreads, I want to comment on the review of the person who called this book poorly written and that he'd rather hear from a slave himself versus reading this "racist" book. I as well found these comments about the book and just wanted to be able to talk to the people who felt this way. I don't think some people realize that during this time, this is how slaves were talked about and referenced. I don't think Stowe was trying to be racist at all, she was simply writing in a way that was the dialect in her time. People from the South during the time of slavery used the "N" word and talked about slaves in a way that we obviously know now is not right. BUT like I said, this was the way back then. If she would've written it not using these words and this way of speech, we would not have gotten the full effect and I don't think it would have been such a successful book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you and had some of the same feelings. I don't think that some people can put themselves in the time period at which this book was written.

      Delete
  2. I found very similar comments to the ones that you found as well, including multiple people saying that the book was poorly written. I think what they don't understand was that Stowe's purpose was mainly to help with the abolition of slavery, not write a literary masterpiece which it turned out to be anyway. A lot of people think have many different ideas on how the book should've been changed, but so many people enjoyed the book when it was first written and enjoy it today so it the quality of writing couldn't have been a whole factor in the popularity of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe also that this book does a great job with showing how Stowe wanted it to be clear that slavery was not a good thing and she wanted it to be abolished.

      Delete
  3. In response to the same comment as Gabby, even if the person who commented would talk to a slave instead of reading the book, the slave would most likely have similar things to say. Stowe seemed to do a great job portraying what things were like during this time. She painted a pretty clear picture for readers to imagine what was happening throughout the novel. I disagree with that this person said and I think the comment that you found on Amazon described Uncle Tom's Cabin the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that Stowe did a great job in showing us instead of telling us what was happening. The picture was almost crystal clear! I also agree with the Amazon review being the best one.

      Delete