Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Hope

The poem that I decided to write this blog on is September, 1918. This poem has so many different interpretations that you can take from it since it is a modernism poem—it has many different themes or events occurring. The theme that I decided to go with throughout is hope. When reading the last stanza of the poem on page 713, I felt like Amy Lowell was feeling that someday she hoped that the world would be a better place to be again.
          “Some day there will be no war.
          Then I shall take out this afternoon
          And turn it in my fingers,
           And remark the sweet taste of it upon my palate,
          And note the crisp variety of its flights of leaves.
          And put it into my lunch-box,
          For I have time for nothing
          But the endeavor to balance myself
          Upon a broken world.”
In life we all could use a little hope; that feeling that everything is going to be okay. Everyday life throws us curve balls and to bring in personal experience, last week all my family could do was hope and pray. On Thursday we got a phone call that no one wants to ever receive. My grandmother was back in the hospital and we were given several options on what could be happening, but of course we all hoped for the best. Unfortunately, she has a battle of her own that she will have to fight off again. This reminded me of the poem because of how the last stanza starts, “Some day there will be no war”, and I pray that someday there will be a cure for cancer. “But the endeavor to balance myself Upon a broken world.” She will have to also find peace within herself to get through her battle that the world, which is broken because it isn’t perfect, has handed her.
Digging deeper, Amy Lowell was definitely trying to send a message. When I did my literary modernism blog on this poem, I didn’t realize a few things until now. The mood at the beginning of the poem brings us happiness and a beautiful scene:
          "This afternoon was the colour of water falling through sunlight;
          The trees glittered with the tumbling of leaves;
          The sidewalks shone like alleys of dropped maple leaves;
          And the houses ran along them laughing out of square, open windows."
While we continue reading we can tell in her tone that she is losing hope, but is using imagery that shows her trying to stay positive about a negative situation. She finds ways that she can put things aside, like possible the negative thoughts.
          “To-day I can only gather it
           And put it into my lunch-box,
          For I have time for nothing”

The amazing thing about poetry is that it can be interpreted in hundreds of different ways. Before last week, I would’ve never thought of the theme being hope or anything along that order because when I researched it, I came up with themes of fall, war, and social changes—the themes were all laid out there for me.  I found that sometimes, it takes something terrible to happen to open up and see what this broken world really has to offer us. 
Image result for hope quotes




Tutu, Desmond. "Hope Quotes." BrainyQuote. Xplore, n.d. Web. 27 Mar. 2017.

3 comments:

  1. I like at the end of your blog you say that it can be interpreted a bunch of different ways. I really think that is so true and that poems should be left open for others to make it fit with them! I also really think your theme fits well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first read this poem, I only took the "text" meaning of it (only at face value). Now I see that this poem can be used to look at many different battles and hardships. It is very interesting to see the author trying to grasp onto their last bit of hope, even if it seems worthless to them in the end. That really speaks to human nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily--Thank you for the comment on the theme. At first I was really sure, but as I read it I felt that they were digging for hope throughout the whole poem.
    Chris--I agree with your comment on "speaks to human nature". The poem made it "easy" to relate to what others are going through, and how the roughest times can sometimes be the thing that gets you the rest of the way through.

    ReplyDelete